MACHAKOS UNIVERSITY COUNCIL
The Council is the body of appointed members who jointly oversee the activities of the organization. The Council is expected to provide strategic direction, exercise control and remain accountable through effective leadership, enterprise, integrity and good judgment. It should be diverse in its composition, independent but flexible, pragmatic, objective and focused on balanced and sustainable performance of the organization.
Size of the Council
The Council is composed of 9 members
The basic responsibility of the Council members is to exercise their best judgment and to act in a manner that they reasonably believe to be in the best interest of the University and its stakeholders. In discharging that obligation, the members should be entitled to rely on the honesty and integrity of the organizations management, staff and its external professional advisors and auditors.
In furtherance of its responsibilities, the Council will:
- Determine the organizations mission, vision, purpose and core values
- Review, evaluate and approve, on a regular basis, long-term plans for the organization
- Review, evaluate and approve the organizations budget and financial forecasts
- Review, evaluate and approve major resource allocations and capital investments
- Ensure that the procurement process is cost-effective and delivers value for money
- Review and approve the operating and financial results of the organization
- Ensure effective, accurate, timely and transparent disclosure of pertinent information on the organizations operations and performance
- Ensure that effective processes and systems of risk management and internal controls are in place.
- Review, evaluate and approve the overall organizational structure, the assignment of senior management responsibilities and plans for senior management development and succession
- Review, evaluate and approve the remuneration structure of the organization
- Adopt, implement and monitor compliance with the organizations Code of Conduct and Ethics
- Review on a quarterly basis the attainment of targets and objectives set out in the agreed performance measurement framework with the Government of Kenya
- Review periodically the organizations strategic objectives and policies relating to sustainability and social responsibility investment
- Protect the rights of shareholders and optimize shareholder value
- Enhance the organizations public image and ensure engagement with stakeholders through effective communication
- Monitor compliance with the Constitution, all applicable laws, regulations and standards and
- Review, monitor and ensure that the University is effectively and consistently delivering on its mandate.
Machakos University Council