VICE-CHANCELLOR’S REMARKS DURING UNIVERSITY INTER-SCHOOL FOOTBAL COMPETITION FINALS TO BE HELD ON 22ND NOVEMBER, 2018.
- Charles Kioko- Chief Officer Sports- Machakos County
- James Kathili- Chief Officer Law Office-Machakos County
- Joel K. Sigei- Assistant Manager Sales-Postal Corporation of Kenya
- Martin Maweu- Postal Corporation-Machakos
- Gabriel Mwasya – Kenyatta Stadium Manager
- The organizers of this Machakos University inter-school competition
- Members of management and Staff
- Students Leaders
- Ladies and Gentlemen
It is my great privilege to join you this evening to this wonderful inter-school competition finals. Mama Lucy tournament last semester was good but this today is excellent. I must confess that the game and competition I have witnessed here is International. It has simply proved that the “difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a man’s determination”. Machakos University teams have become of age and we can go places. No wonder, our University has a representation in regional inter- universities football in Dodoma, Tanzania. I congratulate you all for this refreshing entertainment we have enjoyed this evening.
As a University we take games and indeed extra-curriculum activities very seriously. As you are aware the University is taking steps to construct Machakos University Sports Complex, the plans are in the pipeline. This is because it is now very clear that Machakos University has talent, not only for our own consumption but for International arena. What gives the University strength to want to do more for our sporting men and women is the fact that despite all our infrastructure bottlenecks, despite the dilapidated terrain as we can see it, you keep on shining in every game assignment you have competed. This has reminded me many times of a famous line by Wilma Rudolph who said: ‘’My mother taught me very early to believe I could achieve any accomplishment I wanted to. The first was to walk without braces”. You have walked in braces and you have accomplished. Please ignore your present conditions, but rest assured that the University is taking note. We shall support you, kindly do not relax, we are proud of you.
I want you to know that playing a sport begins as a means of fun and recreation; but, somewhere along the way, in the midst of all the fun, we realize that sports can often be a metaphor for achieving success, because of the lessons it teaches us about life.
What Does Sport Teach Us?
- Sports teach us about team spirit and the importance of working together to accomplish a common goal.
- It teaches us to shoulder responsibility, and how to cope with defeat and failure.
- It teaches how to remain focused on a task for the period of time required to achieve it.
- It also teaches us about consistency and concentration, how to overcome weaknesses, and go beyond our limits
In addition, sports help to develop characters, introduces us and teaches us to be humble in victory and optimistic in defeat.
I wish you success in future and hope your being a sports person will add to the great name of Machakos University and the glory of sports our country is known for.
PROF. LUCY W. IRUNGU, Ph.D.